Workshops. Webinars. Coaching. Consulting.
My goal is to meet your learning needs, flexibly and creatively. That means workshop modules can be customized, content can be combined, and sessions can vary in length from one hour (in my local area or webinar format) to two days (on site in your location). I also offer personalized coaching and consultation on these topics and more.
Below are a few of my workshop titles and descriptions. My specialities include:
- Presentation Design including modules on:
- Audience Engagement
- Effective Slide Design
- Selecting and Using Images and Icons
- Data Visualization
- Survey Design (check out my book Designing Quality Survey Questions)
- Program Evaluation
Do you need to develop professional learning programs for your colleagues? I can help with that too!
Audience Engagement Strategies for Potent Presentations
Presentations are ultimately about audience learning. Successful presenters work in service to their participants, whether they are presenting an evaluation report, giving a keynote speech, facilitating a professional development workshop or training session, or even running a meeting with stakeholders. Participants in this highly interactive workshop will learn fundamental principles of audience engagement by experiencing each activity as they consider how it can inform their own presentation planning. They will experience more than a dozen ways to engage adult audiences with activities and minilessons that flow together coherently, while allowing time for processing and reflection throughout the course. Participants will come to understand the WHY, the WHAT and the HOW of audience engagement, explore purpose distinctions for audience engagement strategies, and receive instruction on how to effectively integrate these strategies into presentation planning. During demonstrations the instructor will also share how each principle and strategy can be used in an evaluation specific context.
The guiding principle of this course is, as marketing guru Seth Godin claims, ”Every presentation worth doing has just one purpose: To make change happen.”
PARTICIPANTS WILL LEARN:
- Fundamental principles of audience engagement that can inform presentation and professional development planning.
- To articulate several purpose distinctions for audience engagement strategies.
- How to effectively integrate audience engagement strategies in their presentation and professional development planning.
- To use a variety of interactive strategies to engage audiences for maximum participant satisfaction and learning.
What people are saying:
I don’t normally mark all Strongly Agree but you did a fantastic job. I learned so many new techniques. Thank you Sheila.
Brilliant session. I learned so much & all of it was relevant to my practice. You raised the bar for me.
Sheila, thank you for such a wonderful session. My facilitation will improve starting immediately.
Very engaging, practical knowledge & easy to implement strategies.
Got more out of workshop than I expected.
Designing Quality Survey Questions
Surveys are a popular data collection tool for their ease of use and the promise of reaching large populations with a potentially small investment of time and technical resources. But as survey fatigue grows, survey designers must be increasingly judicious in using surveys and craft richer, more concise, and more targeted questions to yield meaningful data. Successful surveys require an understanding of the cognitive processes that respondents employ in answering questions with accuracy and candor. Using rich examples and an interactive approach, I’ll demonstrate why we must engage in a rigorous, intentional survey design process in order to craft high quality questions, arguably the most critical element of any survey. Participants in this session will learn about the survey design process through a series of activities, developing an understanding of the cognitive aspects of survey response and question design. This a highly interactive session where participants will work together to increase their ability to craft high quality survey questions, use a survey design checklist published in my book, and leave with additional resources to further develop their skills.
PARTICIPANTS WILL LEARN:
- WHY a rigorous, intentional question design process is key to an effective survey
- WHAT cognitive processes involved in answering survey questions and their implications for question design
- HOW to identify common problems with survey questions and ways to address them
- HOW to craft high quality open and closed-ended survey questions with appropriate response options
- HOW to employ our checklist to ensure the development of high quality questions.
Get the book – Designing Quality Survey Questions
Not Just a Pretty Face: Engaging Presentation Audiences with Effective Slide Design
Seth Godin says “make slides that reinforce your words, not repeat them.”
We’re deep in the age of visual communication. Whether informing stakeholders about program processes, reporting results of an intervention or evaluation, or sharing research at a conference, we share the goal of wanting presentations to achieve their intended purpose. Presenters, challenged to keep up, face criticism for poor and ineffective use of slides to support their messages and must adapt to changing expectations of current audiences.
This course focuses on slide design as a key component of presentations but these skills also translate to reports and other formats for disseminating information. Through interactive demonstration and discussion, and optional hands-on practice (depending on the length of the session), participants will learn WHY slide design is an essential skill for presenters to master. It’s not about making slides beautiful, but rather designing them to be effective in advancing the purpose of the presentation: informing, teaching, persuading, or selling.
Good presentations build bridges by helping presenters engage and connect with their audiences. Effective slide design is a technical skill easily learned and guided by a set of simple principles, but with the powerful potential to influence these connections.
Don’t know a jpg from a png? Think bleeding and isolation are bad things? This course is for you!
Participants will learn:
- WHY effective slide design matters to audiences and serves to advance the presenter’s message.
- HOW to easily locate and incorporate visuals – images, graphics, icons, etc. – into slides and how to reduce reliance on text-based slides. They will be able to modify images by cropping, recoloring, and using artistic effects, place images to complement text and data, and choose the correct size for download. They will also learn keyword strategies to find photographs with specific features.
- WHAT key design principles can guide their own slide design work including arrangement, balance, unity, and hierarchy.
What people are saying:
It was a really powerful presentation.
Special Edition! Workshops for Educational Leaders
Do you create presentations for your staff, the board, community stakeholders, or other groups? Do you need to report out to these groups on educational programs and policies?
I have a special set of workshop modules specifically designed for educators and educational leaders.
We often use surveys, interviews, and focus groups to gather the data we need to evaluate our educational programs and policies. We need to use data visualization to communicate information clearly and efficiently using charts, graphs, images, and infographics. And we need to use principles of effective slide design, messaging, and presentation delivery to engage audiences and move them to insight and action.
Do you want to:
- Improve your presentations with top notch slides that support your main messages?
- Create up-to-date charts and graphs that make educational data easy to understand?
- Develop surveys that reach the right people with the right questions and result in useful, actionable data?
- Understand how to effectively evaluate your educational programs and policies?
These workshops are for you! As with all of my courses, you can get as much learning as you need with the combinations of learning modules that work for you.
Contact me and we’ll talk details!